[parisc-linux] linux and hp 735/125 fs corruption

Sonny Cook sonny@aspersion.org
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 01:45:53 -0600 (MDT)

Hi,
I have an hp 735/125 on which I initially installed hp-ux 11.0.  That was
all fine and dandy, but I got tired of trying to figure out the insides of
hp-ux, so I finally just turned the thing off.

It seemed like it might be fun to install linux on the box, so I got a
file system and precompiled kernel (2.4.0-32)  from:
http://mkhppa1.esiee.fr/

I installed these following the instructions from the same site.  It went
along more or less well until I tried to copy the latest kernel source
over ssh to the hp box.  It copied about 90% and then threw an
"Input/output error".  At that point all the programs I tried with the
exception of 'ls' threw the same error.  These symptoms have been repeated
regularly.

I do not have any swap partions.  I have 300MB on the box.  I tried with
two different disks and two different 735's.  Fsck on the root partition
shows massive (but so far recoverable) file system corruption.

Things I can't do:
	complete apt-get update
	untar kernel source
	copile kernel source
	scp kernel source

Things I can do:
	login
	add new users, modify passwords
	ssh session
	vi /etc/fstab, /etc/hosts, etc
	make menuconfig (for kernel compile)

I am baffeled.  I haven't been able to find any information on this
subject, other than to note that 2.4.0 has been blamed for fs corruption
on some systems.

Any ideas?

thanks,
Sonny Cook