[parisc-linux] Re: smp kernel hangs during boot on L2000 ... (fwd)

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 17:13:11 +0100

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:42:56AM -0500, Galen Arnold forwarded:
> > Initialized PDC Console for debu
> >                                 ^^^^^hangs right there...
> >

> I've done most of my SMP development on a 4 CPU L2000.  So far I've only
> tested a SMP kernel on a L2000 (64 bit) and a J5000 (32 & 64 bit).
> However, I have 440 Mhz PA8500 CPU's.  That shouldn't make a significant
> difference, other than some possible timing problem.  I'll try to test on
> a 2 CPU A500 with PA8600 CPU's on Monday just in case.

I can't imagine that's likely either.  One difference is that I believe
a two-cpu L2k shows up with CPUs 0 and 3 rather than 0 and 1.  Maybe we have
a problem there.  John, could you try disabling cpus 1 and 2 on the L2k?

Galen, how about trying booting the same SMP kernel, but disable the
second CPU at the pdc prompt?  That might help narrow down the problem
a little.