[parisc-linux] Re: Delaying the device inventory detection time

Ryan Bradetich rbradetich@uswest.net
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:19:23 -0600

John,

Willy and I have been looking over the current boot sequence and did not
see any reason why the device detection could not be delayed until main
memory had been setup.  The only special case looked like the cpu driver,
and upon further investigation, all the cpu related information was
gathered via pdc calls.  I remember our converstation about using bootmem
and regulard kmalloc'd memory with a flag to detect which type of memory
was used, but delaying the device detection until memory was initialized
seems like a cleaner solution.   Are there cases where this scheme will
not work?  Like with SMP kernels?  Newer hardware (like superdome), etc?

Thanks for your feedback John, if this patch is not going to work, then
we need to restructure the design of the iotree to not depend upon this
patch!

- Ryan