[parisc-linux] RE: RE: about linux for PA_RISC

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:14:47 -0700

joel.soete@freebel.net wrote:
> Quoting aungho <aungho@sina.com>:
> > But other problems:
>
> > 1.can HP_UX 11.11 for pa_risc 2.0 on L2000 gcc complier,we find gcc for
> > HP_ux 11.00 for pa_risc 1.x and HP_UX 10.0 and they work normally,how to
> > get  gcc complier for hp_ux 11.11.

I'm pretty sure you can use the same toolchain as on 11.00.
HP has released a CD (and ISO image) with PA20 gcc/binutils
toolchain for HPUX 11. The one I have in front of me is labeled:
	"HP-UX 11.0 PA-RISC Open Source Developer Toolkit, Release 000310"

I think I found it's replacement on www.software.hp.com at:
http://www.software.hp.com/cgi-bin/swdepot_parser.cgi/cgi/displayProductInfo.pl?productNumber=B9891AA

> > 2.Linux for pa_risc is only a test version.
>
> You have right. But it seems quiet stable now.

I agree the kernel is stable but:
o not everything on every platform works
o most older servers still not support at all (eg EFGHI/K/T/V-class)
o toolchain and kernel changes aren't fully merged upstream.

It's definitely not a "mature product". But lots of cool
things (eg XF86, iptables, apache, tcpdump, apt-get) do work
on many parisc boxes.

grant