[parisc-linux] X window refresh problem

Griffin, Aubrey, BMCIO aubreygriffin@att.com
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:41:55 -0400

My X windows problems have been cleared up.

I not sure what exactly made things work. apt-get update and apt-upgrade
might have done it since new versions of X among other things were
installed.

Changing back to 2.4.9-32-pa59 before doing this, of course.

PS: A side note on my failure to get a updated kernel. I didn't post this
earlier because I hate to write long-winded messages.

I did pull down the kernel source, linux-20011015.tar.gz and compile it over
the weekend. The resultant kernel, vmlinux, failed to boot on by box,
something about VFS: can't  mount root filesystem.

I must have missed some steps in the compilation process. These things are
not exactly clear to me. It might be middle-age or something. But, that is
another message thread which I may or may not start shortly.

Anyway, I learned how to use palo at the boot prompt to boot an old kernel.
So, it wasn't a total waste.

Previously, I had install the kernel debian package. That also failed to
work for me. But, I didn't know all the steps. I think that I understand
know.

I browsed through the Debian package list and have not seen a kernel-image
package for HPPA. At least, there was no package name that I recognized as a
kernel image that was newer than mine.

So, I finally put my technical pride into my pocket and emailed the list for
help and the answers came in.

Thanks to everyone that helped,
Aubrey