[parisc-linux] Re: 53c700: tagged queueing problem confirmed

James Bottomley James.Bottomley@HansenPartnership.com
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 18:59:25 -0500

5116@telia.com said:
> I have used these drives with i386 Linux without problems with both
> the aix7xxx driver and the sym53c8xx driver. Both these drivers use a
> default of max 8 tags per lun, so I chnaged the value in your driver
> and it works. So, maybe 8 tags per lun is the conservative default
> here ?

That's not unreasonable.  You're going to run into problems with the new
aic7xxx driver, though, which has a default of 253 tags.

Usually you want larger numbers of tags to allow multiple active I/Os and give
the device the most freedom to order them efficiently.  However, in linux we
have the elevator to consider as well:  The more tags, the less time the I/Os
spend in the elevator queue and the less chance of coalescing adjacent I/O.
For any given workload, there's probably an optimal tag number and I bet they
cluster around some value for a variety of workloads, but I've no idea what it
is.

I'd still be wary of allowing tags on this drive.  The firmware clearly has a
point beyond which it goes haywire and you don't really know where that is.
It could be that reducing the max tags to 8 makes this unlikely but not
impossible, so you may still end up with insidious data corruption
possibilities.

James