[parisc-linux] how to use dpkg/dselect/apt-get ???

Nicholas Leippe nick@byu.edu
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:29:26 -0700

Thankyou for the link.  Unfortunately, I've already read that one
and found it of little help.

Let me ask a few specific questions:

1) How do I know that it's looking at hppa packages and not x86
packages?  And if it's seeing x86, how do I fix it?

2) How can I 'collapse' the ridiculously long (3000+) list of
packages into just group headings?

3) How can I search the list so I can find, for example, 'X11'
to '+' it and let it figure out what else is needed and then
install it?

4) Is there a better package interface than dselect?
(rh/caldera/mdk's glint is 3+ yrs old and is still far superior
to dselect--you can actually _understand_ what you're looking at)

I am not against whatever debian uses considering all the wonderful
features it's supposed to have, just rather annoyed that it is such a
difficult/disgusting interface.

Nick

p.s. is there a way to get it to actually highlight the line your on?
it only echos the line in the middle of the screen for me, which is
really gross.