[parisc-linux] SysV IPC structure mismatches

Carlos O'Donell Jr. carlos@megatonmonkey.net
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:16:25 -0400

> As you might guess going the second way, seems to be the right, because
> breaking binary compatibilty now, isn't that big issue, because all the
> stuff we have right now, is available in source and easy compilable.
> This could change, when there are commercial applications for Linux/Parisc.
> But right now, we seem to have a problem building a new glibc (why ?),
> so doing it immidiatly isn't that easy.
>
> I've attached a patch, which implements the first way, which breaks 64bit
> kernels. With this patch the nspr testsuite passes all the semaphore tests,
> which failed without the change. I could commit that patch, but I believe
> it's the wrong way.
>
> Thomas.

The second way is the best way.
"El nuevo" GCC causes broken binary compatibility anyway, so no worries.

I think we'll be recompiling all of our applications many times over
before we are stable ;)

I have the assembly for ld sitting beside me (waiting for my coffee break
to trace assembly).

If you want to help, you can try to compile glibc-2.2.4-2 for hppa.
Having more than one person look at it can be better. The latest glibc
for hppa is glibc-2.2.3-8?

It seems like a problem in the compiler, since we don't even get to running
anything important before it barfs (literally about 60 instructions in
_dl_start before an assert fails).

What is the problem? Don't know. Looking at assembly in hopes it jumps out.
My collection of annotated PA-RISC assembly instructions is helping :}

I have glibc compiled with -O1, since IMHO it makes the assembly saner.

c.