[parisc-linux] Kernel panic with -pa48]

joel.soete@freebel.net joel.soete@freebel.net
Mon, 15 Oct 2001 09:08:36 +0200 (CEST)

James Bottomley wrote:

> > Just co -pa49 and boot again but strange behaviour (as with pa45).
Here
> > the SCSI kernel messages:
>
> I suspect this is probably a cabling/termination problem.  The new
driver does
> fast scsi via synchronous negotiation which is much less tolerant of
harware
> setup than the old asynchronous SCSI.  You can test this theory out by
turning
> off async negotiation in the driver: by recompiling, I'm afraid, I
haven't
> made it a config option.
>
> If you apply the attached patch it will suppress the synchronous
negotiation.
> If the driver boots your machine with no issues then it's a safe bet
you have
> a cabling or termination problem.
>
> Your next problem will be the C3325A drive:  I have one of these and
it seems
> to drop tagged commands under heavy load (which annoys the SCSI error
handler
> no end).  I was going to ask for it to be added to the SCSI mid-layer
black
> list as being unable to handle tags, but I haven't got around to it
yet.

> James

Hello James,

Unfortunately I have'nt anymore -pa49 sources to check your patch but I still
have the binary and a scsi terminator (which was removed for other test).

So I reboot with the vmlinux-2.4.9-pa49 end ending the scsi chain by the
terminator and it works fine.

Thanks a lot for remarks and help,
        joel.

This mail sent through Tiscalinet Webmail (http://webmail.tiscali.be)