[parisc-linux] Kernel panic with -pa48

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:40:01 -0600

James Bottomley wrote:
> Both of these appear to have a SCSI bus running through the motherbord
> to a 50pin ribbon cable on one end and an external D50 SCSI-2 connector
> on the case.  There appears to be no termination at all on the motherboard,
> is that correct?

AFAIK, yes - that's correct. The 50-pin (narrow SE SCSI) should be terminated
on the external 50-pin high-density connecter. The 50-in ribbon cable has a
terminator at the "internal" end. It's all one bus.

> The 715/50 has slots for 3 SCSI drives along a ribbon cable which is
> terminated at one end.

It's intended for 2 HDs and a CD-ROM or SCSI FLoppy.

>  However, I don't believe the other end would be
> terminated unless I put a D50 SE terminator on the external connector.   Was
> this the way they were usually delivered?

I think so.

> The 712/60 is even stranger: It has one SCSI drive housing and a short ribbon
> cable with no termination.  It looks like the correct configuration for this
> one would be to activate the drive's termination and also put a D50 terminato
> on the external connector?

Yes. But it works w/o termination too since the cable is vry short
if nothing external is connected.

grant