[parisc-linux] EISA support

MichaelS.Zick MichaelS.Zick
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:57:29 -0500

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 10:38 am, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> Ah, I found an appendix :-)
>
> EISA cards have a slot number which determines the upper nybble of their
> IO port numbers.  Then within that 0xfff of space, they use 0-ff, 400-4ff,
> 800-8ff, c00-cff.  The rest are ISA ports (or aliases of ISA ports).

Willy,
Sounds like you have it handled already - that 400-4ff range (plus 000-3ff)
is the very old, 8-bit, ISA i/o port range (on i386 cards).
I think you just saved my very old PROM burner from the scrap heap.

On a separate subject related to your EISA work...
For 8/16-bit ISA cards that do not report resource requirements (i/o,
mem, dma, irq) and for the EISA cards without a "known" ID - perhaps
let the driver accept command line option(s) and leave the details to
the user.  For the IRQ mappings, perhaps something like: xyz_irq=8:zz,
xyz_dma=4:yy, etc. (without the ":ww" just map somewhere handy.)

Mike