[parisc-linux] EISA support

MichaelS.Zick MichaelS.Zick
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 09:11:20 -0500

On Wednesday 10 October 2001 06:01 am, Alan Modra wrote:

> > Would it be reasonable to mask port numbers to 10 bits for ISA in the
> > inb/outb routines?
>
> No.  Some old ISA boards do decode the top bits, and actually use them.

Alan,

Correct -
16-bit ISA cards NEARLY ALWAYS decode the top bits; but 8-bit
cards don't (can't, the wires aren't on that part of the socket).

My comment was based on the i386 branch, which does have such a
config option for the (very) rare installation that needs to support such
a board.

I was only wondering if this would be a REASONABLE place in the
code to put it.

Mike