[parisc-linux] kernel 2.5.9-pa24 won't boot 735/125

Sonny Cook sonny@aspersion.org
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:25:17 +0000 (UTC)

Wooohooo.
I got it to work.  Well, not quite.  A retired b132l showed up on my
doorstep last night and rejuvinated my somewhat flagging interest in
getting hp workstations to run linux.  I promply hooked it up and tried it
out.  It did the same thing my 735 did.  Argggh.

So, now I'm up to 2.4.90-pa45 kernel.  The kernel is booting and the
machine will let me log on if I pass the kernel 'init=/bin/sh'.  I then
locks up during various operations.  Starting sysklogd and klogd in rc2.d,
but also this part of bootmisc.sh would lock up in rcS.d:

if [ ! -c
/dev/.devfsd ] && [ -c /dev/ttyp0 ]
then
        chmod 666 /dev/tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]
        chown root:tty /dev/tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]
fi

The solution for me was to get the init scripts in rcS.d to run, set up
networking and then 'apt-get upgrade' the system.  After that, all of the
init scripts run without a hitch and the system boots into runlevel 2
without a problem.  I am assuming that this solution will work for the
735/125 as well.  I'll noow in a little while, as I am mirroring the
working system onto another disk.

Thanks for all of your help.
Sonny