[parisc-linux] travel backwards in time?

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:58:19 -0700

Randolph Chung wrote:
> Recently Grant and I have observed several hangs in do_gettimeofday on a
> c3k running 32 or 64-bit kernels (UP).
>
> The symptom we see is gettimeoffset returns a negative number which
> results in a huge (unsigned) usec offset in do_gettimeofday, which ends
> up spinning in a while loop.
> The last_tick adjustment looks a bit odd. Looking at ia64, it looks more
> like this:
>
>         last_tick -= clocktick * (jiffies - wall_jiffies + 1);

For the record, this fix was committed in one of the 2.4.14-pa5
http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux-cvs/2001-November/030021.html

I'm still not 100% certain all our time keeping code is correct.
But I'm comfortable this patch fixes the problem we saw and
does not introduce any new ones.

grant