[parisc-linux] gcc-3.x and the kernel

Randolph Chung Randolph Chung <randolph@tausq.org>
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:59:31 -0800

> Some ports (such as parisc, sparc, sparc64 ...) use gcc-3.x in their
> distributions, even to compile the linux kernel.
> IMHO they use the lastest gcc since it has better support and more recent
> bug fixes for the according platforms.
> But I've read that gcc-3.0.x is not officially supported as a kernel
> compiler, since is still has some bugs. Are these bugs just x86 related
> (I doubt it) or do you accept the risk that gcc might produce garbage ?
> Does this actually happen ?

gcc 3.0.2 is officially released by the FSF. We have been using it for
building both kernel and user space apps for some time. While there are
still some occasional bugs, in general it seems to be working well.

afaik the 3.x compilers are the only ones available for parisc-linux.
There are no 2.9x compilers for this platform.

randolph
--
   @..@                                         http://www.TauSq.org/
  (----)