[parisc-linux] 64bit kernels boot on C200 (finally) :)

Ryan Bradetich rbradetich@uswest.net
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 20:39:01 -0700

[ Snip ]
> i'm surprised the network works given the number of warnings when compiling
> lasi_82596.c with a 64-bit compiler.

it does ... that was over a nfs root.  I plan on taking a look at the compiler
warnings here shortly.  But I have not tested out how much works on the C200+
with a 64-bit kernel ... I have no idea if scsi works, etc.  I will play with
it more and see what is br0k3n.... I was just happy to see the login prompt.

> btw, does a 64-bit kernel with the 32-bit wrapper options enabled boot
> on a PAT PDC box like A500?

I'm not sure if I understand the question, so let me try to restate the
question I think you are asking.

If you compile in 32-bit wrapper support into a 64-bit kernel ... can
the same kernel be used on a PAT PDC box like the A500?

  No.  When I first started down the 32-bit wrapper support, I was going
  to make the wrappers smart and use the 32-bit wrappers when needed.  I
  was talked out of the idea, because on all the boxes that need the
  32-bit wrappers do not support > 4G ram, thus there is no advantage
  (yes Grant, I know ... some application do benefit from 64-bit kernels)
  for running a 64-bit kernel on them.  The PDC wrappers are designed to
  be used for developement/testing purposes for people with these systems.
  (By Making the wrappers a compile time option, it saves an additional
   level of indirection for every pdc call).

That help?  If not, I'll try again.

- Ryan