[parisc-linux] First Time Install on 712/80i

Phil Anderson andersop@neverland.ncssm.edu
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:18:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi!

I've been following this list for a while ever since my school handed me 5
735's, some "Series 700's" and three 712's. I asked around and decided to
try to install pa-risc linux on the 712's as they "have better support".
So, I'm sitting here with the machine running. There's a SCSI cd-rw on the
SCSI-2 port. The machine is a 712/80i with 1 GB disk and 64MB ram, also an
internal floppy.

I have a copy of pa-risc linux, the ~134MB 0.9.2 ISO file, on a CD. It
will boot, and all's fine in the debian installation until the "Configure
Device Driver Modules" step.  When I do this, it claims,

"No modules were found in /target/lib/modules/2.4.0-32 that could be
configured. Please install the kernel modules first, bu running the
"Configure Device Driver Modules" step"

I take it you can see my quandrary.

Does anyone know what to do? I've heard a serial install works better,
what does that entail? Also, I believe that this is a 64 bit machine, am I
right?

With the serial install, I have a VT 420 on the serial port. I tried
booting a copy of the parisc 64 bit serial ISO but it didn't work...

I know the CDrom is good too because I can install HPUX 10.20 off CD from
that same drive, on the same computer.

Thanks,

-phil

Phil Anderson
UNIX Systems Admin
andersop@neverland.ncssm.edu
The_13th_Ewok@hotmail.com

"Go CRAZY? Don't mind if I do! Woowoowoowoo!" -Homer Simpson