[parisc-linux] kernel panic

Stan Sieler sieler@allegro.com
Wed, 23 May 2001 09:48:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I was quiet before, hoping one of the more active list members
would comment ... but ... a comment on netiquette seems needed here.

We've recently seen a couple of gigantic posts to the mailing list...
of messages with 23,000+ lines of text.  Such messages take a lot of
disk and network bandwidth, and can cause performance problems for
some users.

Hence, the two netiquette rules:

  1) don't email thousand line messages to a mailing list.

     Instead, put the text (the dump info in this case) on a
     web server somewhere, and email the URL.  Or, offer to email
     the big file to individuals who request a copy.

     This applies to binary as well as text messages.

  2) when replying to ****ANY**** message, delete the majority
     of it, retaining just enough to maintain context
     for the reader!  Single-line replies that enclose a copy
     of a 23,000+ line message are just a waste ... as are
     single line replies that enclose a copy of a 20 line message.

thanks,

> John,
>
> Thanks for the great explaination!
>
> >             /* Stack Dump! */