[parisc-linux] Serial PDC console on 712/601

Matthieu Delahaye delahaym@esiee.fr
Mon, 07 May 2001 13:06:01 +0200

Christoph Plattner wrote:

> Hello HP hackers !
>
> I have a problem setting the PDC console path to serial.
> How can be done this on the HP 712/60.
> On my 9000/720 I can use the `path' command on the PDC
> console (admin mode). But on the 712/60, the `path' command
> only sets the boot paths (primary, secondary), but not the
> console.
>
> Is it possible to use the 712/60 with serial console only
> (no display and keyboard) ?
> How can I set serial console ?
>
> With friendly regards
>         Christoph Plattner
>
> --

>From Pa-RISC/Linux Boot Howto:

3.1.2.3.3. How can I change the boot console to serial on a 712?

   Unfortunately, you can't. Although 712s are configured for in-house
HP development to use serial console, this configuration
   isn't supported in the field. You have to use a graphics console for
712s.

http://www.oswg.org/oswg-nightly/oswg/en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/
parisc-linux/parisc-linux-boot/

But it seems you can, after dangerous manipulations:

http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/1999-December/008117.html

regards,
Matthieu

--