[parisc-linux] [HPADM] SUMMARY: firmware questions

herrold herrold@owlriver.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:45:01 -0500 (EST)

This crossed the HP-UX admin list in summary form today -- it is
somewhat longish, but it got me to thinking about firmware version
issues.

I was left with a couple of unanswerable (to me) questions:

Predicate: An arbitrary HP chassis, found on ebay or cast off at
work, will have no maintenance records, and be in an unknown state
as to firmware version.

1.  For porters:  I would infer that some of the code is
re-inventing firmware-fixpacks and firmware-state detection code
[consciously or not] for problems which have already been
indentified and perhaps solved, by HP.  Is this being well or
episodically addressed, and could it be done better?

2.  For HP-ers:  Is HP-corporate ameanable to general release and
application of fixpacks to the general population of HP-chassis
owners?  This answer may vary by host class -- i.e., if the
provision of fixpacks is a maintenance contract benefit, it may be
sensible only from HP's point of view to release only older
'end-of-life'd' class hosts without charge (they are no longer a
revenue stream item) -vs- release them all, recognizing that the GPL
feedback might provide a fix for an indentified but un-addressed
fixpack open issue.

I have left the HPUX-admin trailer intact for subscribers here
unaware of that list -- beware if subscribing -- lurk to learn their
ways

-- Russ Herrold