[parisc-linux] C100 Self-Hosting

Greg Ingram ingram@symsys.com
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:48:36 -0600 (CST)

I tried to self-host on my C100 with the recent root filesystem from
ISIEE.  The first problem was I needed the CVS bins.  I grabbed the
sources from Debian and the build went without a hitch.  I've posted a
tarball of (I hope) all of the relevant bits here:

	http://www.symsys.com/~ingram/linux/parisc/cvs.tar.gz

I checked out the linux and palo sources, configured the kernel and made
dependancies.  I ran into the following problems with 'make palo':

1)  arch/parisc/Makefile specifies the cross-compiler

I guess most people are using the cross-compiler so maybe it should stay
that way for now.  Anyway, once I commented out that line the kernel build
took off.

2)  conflicting types for mem{cmp|cpy|set} built-ins

Lots and lots of warnings.  Should I add -fno-builtin?

3)  conflicting types for off_t in <stdio.h> and "linux/types.h"

I was able to dodge this error by defining '__off_t_defined' right before
including <stdio.h> in palo/lib/elf32.c.

And now [ drumroll ] the build succeeds and the self-built kernel boots.

Woohoo!

- Greg