[parisc-linux] 64-bit issues

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 23:37:15 +0000

I've been working on moving the bits from parisc64 across to parisc.
There's actually very little that needs to be moved.

In the process, I discovered several problems with parisc64 being out
of date.  One of them affects everyone who builds parisc64.  It wasn't
being compiled with the -mdisable-fpregs option, so it was using FP
code in the kernel, which is generally considered not a good idea.
But adding this requires gcc to call into $$mulI which wasn't part of our
64-bit libgcc.  Paul Bame's done this work, so now everyone compiling
64-bit will need a new compiler.  Matt Taggart's building one now and
you'll need to install it to build a 64-bit kernel.