[parisc-linux] Another 735 hums to life

Greg Ingram ingram@symsys.com
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 09:17:53 -0600 (CST)

Chris, et al.,

On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Richard Hirst wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 02:34:59PM -0800, Chris Moore wrote:
> > After a lot of struggling I finally got my 735/99 up and running.
> > After even more struggling I got it to boot standalone off its
> > own internal SCSI disk and make it all the way to runlevel 2.
> >
> > I am still having a few problems though.  I tried using dpkg
> > to install something and the process just seemed to hang.  I
> > saw the same thing when trying to compile something - don't
> > remember what.
>
> Does tar hang also?  If so it's probably the pthreads problem
> that is affecting older machines (my 715/75, for example).  In
> theory a new glibc should fix this, but when I tried things seemed
> to get even worse - wouldn't even boot any more.  Havn't tried
> for a couple of weeks though.

I'm currently running the bins posted by our French amis and tar works.
The more program still has the goofy stack (argv[-1]?) bomb and ncsd still
doesn't work.  I'm not familiar with nscd but it prevents me from using
adduser so I had to do all that the _real_ old fashioned way.  I used the
55 meg root filesystem and it had a root password set.  I had to boot the
old NFS-root fs so I could edit /etc/passwd on the new fs.  On the whole
it's a big improvement.  I can use the compiler now.  Next I'm going to
see if the C100 can compile its own kernel.

The ESIEE download site is:

	http://mkhppa1.esiee.fr/en/download.html

Regards,

- Greg