[parisc-linux] Re: Kernel faults on boot

Matt Taggart taggart@carmen.fc.hp.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:37:14 -0600

Simeon Walker writes...

> Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 04:15:41PM +0100, Simeon Walker wrote:
> > > I thought I'd try and compile my own kernel to see if that
> > > had the same problem but have been unable to do so. First
> > > I tried the apt-get'able kernel source
> >
> > don't do that -- we're not merged upstream.  ditto, don't do it for glibc,
> > gcc or gdb.  binutils should be OK, but no promises -- see some of the
> > recent breakages we've had.
> >
> so I guess an apt-get upgrade is not such a good thing at this
> point in time?

No, an apt-get upgrade should be fine. For packages where we differ from
upstream one of the three cases apply,

1.) the hppa-linux changes have been integrated into the Debian package
2.) a special hppa only deb has been done(which may not be in the archive)
3.) that package doesn't exist in the Debian archive yet

--
Matt Taggart        Linux Development Lab
taggart@fc.hp.com   HP Linux Systems Operation