[parisc-linux] Byte mode STI roms

Helge Deller deller@gmx.de
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 09:58:34 +0200

Hi Thomas,

> I've played a little bit with the stifb on my C200 with a HCRX24 and got
> the stifb to recognize it as valid card. My approach was to just get rid
> of that funky STI_Uxx macros by copying the byte rom into memory and
> adjusting the offsets. This way sticon-wmode.c and sticon-bmode.c are
> nearly the same and with a little bit more tweaking I could get them
> merged.

Great !

> So is there a deeper magic hidden why bmode is done the way it is, or
> should I clean up my code and check it in ?

No, there is no real deeper magic the way it is done now. It's just, that the
sti[wb]con code has already went through quite a number of development
cycles.
At the beginning both had the complete console-code in them with just some
tweaks for the mode, now they are in a state where both files just provide
callbacks for sticore.c.
And the real goal is to have both files merged in a clean manner. This is why
I'm really interested to see your patch. But in any case I would like if you
would send the patch to the list prior checking it in.

> PS: No, stifb doesn't work on the HCRX24, yet. It gets initalized, but
> still doesn't show anything.

It's because the stifb code does not have any HCRX24 specific code in it yet.
I'll look if I can add it today - it shouldn't be that much.

Greetings,
Helge