[parisc-linux] sticon/sercon patch for new bootfloppies...

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:40:56 +0100

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 02:24:49AM +0200, Helge Deller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the attached patch enables only those consoles, which are given on the linux
> kernel command line.
> Examples: "console=tty0" activates STIcon only, "console=ttyS0" activates
> serial console only and if you use both on the commandline you will get the
> system messages on both consoles.
>
> Known bugs:
> - STIcon will not show any messages which happened before the STI
> 	initialisation

Just tried a kernel with serial console, sti console, and sti fb all
compiled in, with palo/unstable.  Seems to do the right thing on my B180 :)

The kernel knows it cannot support b180 fb, so uses sti console automatically
but this kernel should use sti fb on those machines that we support.

I left the b180 alone until the "screen blanking" cut in.  It just turns
off the cursor, btw, doesn't blank the screen.

When I came back to it the cursor had gone back to top-left, and all
chars are printed as blobs of garbage.  System is still happy apart from
that.

I think the cursor going to top-left on a screen blank is a result of
your last lot of bug fixes, but not certain of that.

The other thing for people to note is that if you specify both
console=ttyS0 and console=tty0, then the order is important.  The
real console is the second one you specify, the other just gets
a copy of boot messages (all kernel printk's, I guess).

Richard