[parisc-linux] Installing a C++ Compiler

Richard Hirst rhirst@linuxcare.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:25:45 +0100

On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 11:54:12AM +0200, Jay Konrad wrote:
> Hi guys!
>
> I have installed PA Linux 0.9 on my HP 712. Unfortunately, there is no telnet server. But I got the sources, so I would like to compile it. Unfortunately, gcc tells
> me on installation that it depends on glibc6. When I try to install glibc6, it tells me it needs libdb2. If I try to install libdb2, it tells me it needs glibc6. I am at my
> wits end at what to do. Anybody out there who can help a beginner??

telnetd exists in the debian archives.  If you have apt configured,
and are networked,  "apt-get install telnetd" should work for you.

My /etc/apt/sources.list looks like this:

deb http://beast:80/rel0.9/debian sid main
deb http://beast:80/rel0.9/more-packages/debian sid main

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

'beast' is my local server which is making the CD contents available
over http.  You want the last four lines, at least.

Then something like

apt-get update		# updates apt cache with available pkg details
apt-get install telnetd	# should "just work"

You can find telnetd_*_hppa.deb on a debian mirror under
/pub/mirrors/debian/pool/main/n/netkit-telnet if you just want to
grab a file, and then install with "dpkg -i telnetd....deb".

The pkgs that get installed initially are a little dated, and newer
ones are in more-packages on the CD.

BEWARE that when I installed e2fsprogs_1.20-1_hppa.deb from more-packages
the system wouldn't boot any more because e2fsck crashed.  I recovered
by reinstalling e2fsprogs_1.19-4_hppa.deb from the debian tree on the
CD.

You don't say how you are trying to install gcc, libdb2, etc, but
your problem can probably be solved either by apt-get which will
sort out the dependancies for you, or with dpkg -i, specifying multiple
.deb files are arguments.

Richard