[parisc-linux] 2.4.6-pa20 question about modules

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jo=EBl_Soete?= jso@europay.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:46:09 +0200

Richard,

Just a small tips I use on my i386 linux-box: I launch the make in one line
and tacke a log which I can so analyze later like:

make dep clean bzImage modules modules_install 2>&1 | tee
/var/tmp/kl-200107.log

(presently replace bzImage by vmlinux for parisc on a parisc-box seems to
work)

May be, it should be helpfull :))

Joel

ps: but with parisc-box I met a problem which I do not met with the
xcompiler on i386 linux-box:

dmfe.c: In function `dmfe_timer':
dmfe.c:1193: Unable to find a register to spill in class `FP_REGS'.
dmfe.c:1193: This is the insn:
(insn 255 254 894 (set (reg:DF 22 %r22 [157])
        (float:DF (reg:DI 4 %r4 [158]))) 149 {floatdidf2} (insn_list 254
(nil))
    (expr_list:REG_DEAD (reg:DI 4 %r4 [158])
        (expr_list:REG_EQUAL (unsigned_float:DF (reg:SI 156))
            (nil))))
dmfe.c:1193: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make[2]: *** [dmfe.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.6-20010717/drivers/net'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_net] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.6-20010717/drivers'
make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

any idea?

                                                                           =
                                       =20
                    Richard Hirst                                          =
                                       =20
                    <rhirst@linux        To:     Jo=EBl Soete/BRU/MASTERCAR=
D@MASTERCARD                             =20
                    care.com>            cc:     marteaut@esiee.fr@SMTP@EUR=
OPAY,                                  =20
                                         parisc-linux@lists.parisc-linux.or=
g@SMTP@EUROPAY                         =20
                    19-07-01             Subject:     Re: [parisc-linux] 2.=
4.6-pa20 question about modules        =20
                    01:24 AM                                               =
                                       =20
                                                                           =
                                       =20
                                                                           =
                                       =20

http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2001-July/013081.html)

> the cvs 20010717 seems to works fine.
> (for b180 still have to unplug re-plug kdb)
>
> I also try to recompile it with the .config file supply with
palinux-0.9.2.
> It also seems to works well but modules are not install naturally.
> Can you explain me how to compile it and install it?

If I understand correctly, you are rebuilding the kernel, and want
kernel modules installed correctly under /lib/modules?

cd /usr/src/linux   (or wherever your source tree is)
# save your .config file, if you want it
make distclean
cp <config file> .config
make oldconfig
make dep
make
make modules
make modules_install
cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux   (or whereever you want it to go)

Richard

This e-mail and any attachments to it may contain confidential information =
which is strictly intended for the use of the authorised recipient.  If you=
 have received this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender=
 by replying to this e-mail.
Thank you for your co-operation.