[parisc-linux] 715/64 wide mode problem

Helge Deller helge.deller@sap.com
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 17:33:19 +0200

Hi,

The 715/64 has a 32bit CPU and can't run wide mode (64bit) kernels.
Get the 32bit ISO image and install that one.
Since I have the same box, I know that the 1.6 firmware is up-to-date
and that your box should run without any problems.
(And: your p75 isn't that bad compared with the 715/64) :-)

Greetings,

Helge

Damm wrote:

> i'm trying to install pa-risc linux on a hp 9000/715/64 box via an
> internal cdrom drive.  the kernel boots up but then reports
>
>   "firmware does not allow selection of default wide mode.
>    are you trying to boot a 64bit kernel on a pa1.1 box?"
>
> the processor revision is 2.4 (guess that pa1.1 refers to this) and
> bootrom is reported to be 1.6 (another guess: means firmware version
> is 1.6--which according to hp's site is the most 'recent' revision).
> i scanned the archives but got lost in the myriads of weird tech
> stuff.  if anyone can help me with this, that would be cool (otherwise
> i'd have to install linux on a crappy old p75).  thanks in advance.
>
> -rene

THE BEST RUN E-BUSINESSES RUN SAP

Helge Deller                            email: helge.deller@sap.com
SAP AG Walldorf/Baden, Germany