[parisc-linux] Re: Problem installing .9 iso image on C240

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:45:15 -0600

Charles Boone wrote:
> I do have one question, why
> would it not try to install the 64bit version? I was
> pretty sure that a C240 is a 64bit system.

PDC on the C240 (and similar C-models of that generation) only
support PDC calls in "narrow" (ie 32-bit) mode. Sounds like the decision
to install 32 vs 64-bit depends on the PDC capabilities bit.
Can anyone offhand confirm/deny?

BTW, though the C240 has a PA2.0 CPU (ergo 64-bit capable), I'm not sure
rbrad has been able to resolve all the issues when trying to run 64-bit
kernels on his C200. He did resolve many of them - including support
for 32-bit PDC calls from 64-bit kernels.

grant

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker
+1.408.447.7253