B132 dies too (was Re: [parisc-linux] 2.4.6-pa5 crashes on B160L)

LaMont Jones lamont@hp.com
Mon, 09 Jul 2001 09:34:38 -0600

My B132 (which works 2.4.0) crashes sometime between palo launching the
kernel, and it having a working console (serial).  That is to say, no info
at all.  If someone wants the machine in order to debug it, just holler...

> If one is really good (like jsm) and has a matching vmlinux and System.map,
> one can backtrace the stack by hand by looking at stack frame (return pointer
> is in the stack frame) and seeing how much each subroutine grows the stack
> (look at code around subroutine call, iirc). I think the mail archives
> have a concise desription of exactly how to use the stack dump.
> But I am too lazy to look for it now.

Backtracing is extremely straight-forward, and can be automated, AFAIK.
Walking the stack forward is a bit more challenging, but not entirely
beyond possibility most of the time...

lamont