[parisc-linux] JFS on PA-RISC-Linux

Grant Grundler grundler@puffin.external.hp.com
Tue, 03 Jul 2001 09:21:00 -0600

Peter Weilbacher wrote:
I can't comment on the bus error.

>         mkfs.jfs development version: $Name: v1_0_0 $
>
>         Warning!  All data on device /dev/sdb1 will be lost!
>
>         Continue? (Y/N) Y
> 	<4>mkfs.jfs(379): unaligned access to 0x00035245 at ip=0x000137af
> 	Not-handled unaligned insn 0x4a740108
> 	Unaligned handler failed, ret = -1
>
> (optionally without <4> or with Bus error)
>
> Is it JFS's fault or that of the PA-RISC-Linux port?

The parisc-linux port. Randolph Chung recently added support for unaligned
access emulation.  Randolph needs more info to fix this problem.
See http://lists.parisc-linux.org/pipermail/parisc-linux/2001-June/012946.html

> The messages do
> not seem to be from mkfs.jfs, as I did not find anything like that
> in its source. Is it too early to try things like this?

No. If no one tries, we won't know what's broken. The basic stuff works.

thanks,
grant

Grant Grundler
parisc-linux {PCI|IOMMU|SMP} hacker