[parisc-linux] Boot from tape

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:01:10 +0000

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 05:29:38PM +0100, Christoph Plattner wrote:
> How can you run Linux ?
> I thought, HP E55 (9000/856) is not full supported, as
> the SCSI driver and the serial multiplexer (8-port serial,
> where my console is configured to port 0) is not supported
> (no driver !).
> Or is there any, and I don't know it ??

If someone wants to put some effort into it... (hint: i don't)

the PDC spec (available from www.parisc-linux.org/documentation.html)
includes calls to perform block io.  there's no practical reason
someone couldn't write drivers/block/pdc.c which performed IO through
this mechanism.  performance would suck, but at least it would work.