[parisc-linux] question about disk caching.... (SOLVED!)

Randolph Chung randolph@tausq.org
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:51:37 -0700

> I got this with the latest kernel bits from cvs:
[...]
> seems like a caching issue? This is booting entirely off a local SCSI
> harddisk. Any ideas what might be causing this?

many thanks for mkp for elucidating this.....

<mkp_> In your case it might be nscd that breaks things
<mkp_> Do you have it running?
<tausq> hrmm... good point, let me turn it off.. i see that nfsroot has it on by default
<mkp_> Name Service Caching Daeon
<mkp_> +m
<tausq> ah ha!
* tausq thinks mkp is onto something here..
<ggg> tausq: but would nscd affect local disk? (adduser/passwd prob)
<tausq> ggg: it may affect nss...
<ggg> nss? *sigh*
<mkp_> nscd caches getpwent() lookups, among other things
<ggg> ic
<tausq> indeed with nscd on, i get the problem, with it off everything seems to be ok
<mkp_> There we go
<tausq> good call mkp
<ggg> tausq: could you reply to your mail?
<tausq> sure, i'll just quote this irc conversation :)

randolph
--
   @..@                                         http://www.TauSq.org/
  (----)