[parisc-linux] website

Grant Grundler grundler@cup.hp.com
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:01:06 -0800

Josiah Carlson wrote:
> 4. The fact that parisc-linux.org is overseen by the HP corporation, and
> that they are unwilling to change the layout and such of the web page.

Wrong on two counts: HP does not run the web site. AFAIK, HP helped
fund the parisc-linux site developement and approved it's current
layout/use of HP logo. No one said anything about future developement.
This issue is still under discussion and Mathew's input has been heard.

> Though we've got to remember
> that we're dealing with a corporation, with a structure, with
> supervisors.

Who are just people.
Some need to learn new things they don't yet know.

> If there's one thing that I've learned from working at any
> workplace, it's that supervisors sometimes know less than a 2 year old
> and sometimes are twice as stubborn.

Funny. None of my supervisors have ever fit that description.
Maybe I'm just lucky.

> not only am I not privy to the code,

Wrong again.
Source is visible at http://puffin.external.hp.com/cgi-bin/cvsview
or through CVS. Just like the linux kernel.

> but I doubt that HP would
> accept any changes if I had any. (more on that later)

You are right - HP won't. Mostly because HP doesn't "own" it.
Anyone with write access to the CVS repository can change it.
Only about 1/5th of the people with such write access are HP
employees.

> Currently there is not a whole lot of info on
> getting said machines running on the main site.

1) It's because owners of said machines haven't *written* a web page
   (or FAQ) specific to each platform.
2) Such a page would fairly quickly be stale.
   The long term goal is to have one process/kernel for all machines.
   (64- vs 32-bit kernels is the only issue that won't go away.)

> I have to document the steps
> required because someone in the future may have to do it again where I'm
> at, and it could also be posted to the parisc-linux.org site for other
> people.

Exactly. Post it here and people can find it by searching the
mail archive. (That's probably another FAQ, Alex?).

grant

Grant Grundler
Unix Systems Enablement Lab
+1.408.447.7253