[parisc-linux] where to put 64 bit libmilli?

Cary Coutant cary@cup.hp.com
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 11:00:49 -0800

>For PA64 the indirect calling sequence is significantly simpler and is
>emitted inline, hence we don't need/use $$dyncall for PA64.

Even for PA-32, $$dyncall should be simple enough to emit inline. There
were two reasons why we didn't do it at first:

1. Our compilers emitted code that was compatible with both MPE and
HP-UX. Since function pointers had different representations in these two
runtimes, $$dyncall had to check a low-order bit.

2. After we implemented shared libraries on HP-UX, function pointers
could be either "internal" or "external", and $$dyncall had to check.

Eventually, HP-UX has moved to a runtime where function pointers are
either all internal (for a statically-bound program) or all external (for
a dynamically-bound program). We now have compiler options to generate
the appropriate inline sequence for either model.

Linux shouldn't need to be concerned with either of these cases. If
you're using $$dyncall for the 32-bit runtime, I strongly suggest that
you change the compiler.

-cary