[parisc-linux] where to put 64 bit libmilli?

Jeffrey A Law law@redhat.com
Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:04:25 -0700

  In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0101031532370.24351-100000@front.linuxcare.com.au>y
  > I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the idea either.  It seemed to be
  > the best solution in the face of a number of packages that "know" libgcc
  > isn't needed when linking certain programs.  eg. linux kernel, binutils
  > testsuite.  The alternatives are
  >   a) fix all the affected packages
  >   b) modify linker scripts
  >   c) magic inbuilt linker behaviour.
But I would consider those very special cases and wouldn't want to pollute
the linker to work around those special cases.

The easiest (to me) solution is to put the routines into the system C
library.  You'd drop the special millcode conventions, but that's a
small price given that the only ones you probably call with any
regularity are div/mod in which case the cost of reloading the pic
registers is dwarfed by cost of the divide.

Then for the kernel you just put the needed routines (probably just
$$div, $$divU, $$rem, $$remU) into arch/parisc/support.S.

jeff