[parisc-linux] ZONE_DMA

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 17:43:31 +0000

I notice that right now we're partitioning our memory 50% into DMAable
memory and 50% into normal memory (and 0% into HIGHMEM -- but I believe
this part to be correct).  I can't believe that's really the limit of
memory we can DMA into.

I'm not familiar with the hardware problem here.  Must EISA cards be
restricted to a certain part of the address space?  I can glean from
the source that ISA cards are restricted to a 16MB address space --
are we going to support ISA cards?

I presume that no machine which supports ISA cards has an IOMMU that is
capable of mapping a chunk of higher ram into the 16MB bus address space.