[parisc-linux] Initial setup of the `glibc' in the target rootfile system

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:21:01 +1100 (EST)

On 24 Feb 2001, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Alan Modra <alan@linuxcare.com.au> writes:
>
> > Oh, and for the benefit of the list, Ulrich is talking about native
> > builds.  This ought to be obvious, but _DO NOT_ build glibc for a
> > cross-compiling environment with --prefix=/usr.
>
> Of course you do.  If the library is later used in /usr you have to do
> this.  Don't put words in my mouth I didn't say.

I think you misunderstand.  When I said above about building glibc for a
cross compiling environment, I'm talking about building an hppa-linux
glibc to be installed on an i686-linux system for use by the cross tools.
If binutils and gcc are built with --build=i686-linux --host=i686-linux
--target=hppa-linux --prefix=/usr, then it's correct to build glibc with
--build=i686-linux --host=hppa-linux --prefix=/usr/hppa-linux because then
"make install" will put glibc in the correct place for the cross tools.

Building glibc with --prefix=/usr then "make install_root=/usr/hppa-linux"
doesn't put glibc in directories searched by the cross tools.

Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.