[parisc-linux] parisc64 vs kernel64

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 08:58:15 +0000

I wonder if we're doing this right, having parisc and parisc64 as
different architectures.  They're fundamentally similar than sparc/sparc64
or mips/mips64 are.  We have very few files in parisc64 (the rest are
made visible to the build system by creating symlinks to their equivalent
in parisc).

Excluding Makefiles, we have:

kernel/binfmt_elf32.c
kernel/sys32.h
kernel/head.S
kernel/ioctl32.c
kernel/lasimap.map
kernel/pdcpat.c
kernel/signal32.c
kernel/sys_parisc32.c
real/head.S

I'm 99% sure we don't use real/head.S any more.  Or kernel/lasimap.map.
So how about moving the rest to parisc/kernel64?  We'd select between
them with something like:

make config
[...]
*
* Processor type and features
*
Processor family (PA1.1, PA2.0, PA2.0Wide) [PA1.1]

i think it might make maintenance easier, and possibly alan/linus would
be more willing to take this than the current do_links based situation.

alternatively, maybe we should scrap all the #ifdef __LP64__ stuff from
our current files, duplicate large parts of them and populate parisc64
properly.  i think this current situation is the worst of both worlds
in that it's quite easy to forget about parisc64 when fiddling with
something in the parisc directory.

i favour moving the files to parisc/kernel64, but i'm interested in
hearing other points of view, including `stop messing about'.