[parisc-linux] Prefetch macros for PA-RISC

Matthew Wilcox matthew@wil.cx
Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:01:01 -0700

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 09:36:54PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Excellent, our proposed list walking uses kind of depend on being able
> to prefetch off the end of lists and stuff. Also I assume its prefetching a
> cache line and the prefetch for write prefetches it exclusive ?

Yes.

>From the PCX-W ERS:

Integer word loads to GR0 will be interpreted as a prefetch-for-read
operation, while integer doubleword loads to GR0 will be interpreted
as a prefetch-for-write operation. A prefetch-for-read will cause the
prefetched cache line to be marked "shared", whereas a prefetch-for-write
will cause the prefetched cache line to be marked "private-clean"
- forcing other caches to abandon their shared copies ahead of the
actual write.