[parisc-linux] Booting diskless Linux machine from HP-UX server !

Justin Hamilton JHamilton@Earthling.Net
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 02:05:55 -0500

I worked on a project booting i386 based nfs-root Linux boxes off hpux
servers.

Under 10.20 if you boot the same client twice, with no other clients booting
during the mean whilst, it would get permission denied the 1st time, but be
successful the 2nd.

Under 11.00 it would get permission denied every time.

I had a ticket open with HP on this at one time, then we moved the nfsroot
over to AIX and our problem was solved so I never followed up on it.

Also had problems with TFTP & DHCP servers on 11.00. With multiple IP's
assigned to a lan interface, the server responds from the last ifconfig'd IP
(i.e. lan1:2) , but then listens for a reply on the primary IP (i.e. lan1)
while the client is trying to use lan1:2's IP.
I think we just found a similar problem with another server daemon also.
Don't know those details.

Just my $0.02

Justin