[parisc-linux] [Q] on EISA support

Christian Suder csuder@cisco.com
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:13:35 -0800

Hello,

I finally got the C110 running a couple of days ago (thanks to the "magic"
FW-SCSI command) and things are well so far. I'm trying to add a network
card needed for the planned use of the machine but so far no luck.

I'm not an expert on the HP HW, but I do remember the (short) EISA days on
PCs where a .cfg file was needed to teach the PC the specifics of the cards
(IO ports, interrupts etc.). How does this work with the HP machines ? I
tried an SMC Ultra 32 and an AC3200 with no luck. One hurdle here is that
there is a function call in both drivers (as well as other drivers that use
similar controller chips) that the compiler barks about. (Something like
isa_eth_copy_and_chksm - don't have the exact at hand right now). I found a
way around it but the cards are not detected at all. Note these cards use a
memory window - is that possible with the current EISA support ? Is it
possible to use generic EISA cards at all or do they have to be supported
by the boot rom in some way ?

Tried a NE2000 clone too, which was detected but with the wrong interrupt.
That might be because it's a "hard" configured plug&pray card. PCs have no
problems detecting the settings correctly, though.

Thanks,
	Christian