[parisc-linux] Status report - B132L and 725/100

Andy Walker squawker@start.no
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:06:09 +0100 (CET)

Quoting Richard Hirst <rhirst@linuxcare.com>:

> On Wed, Dec 19, 2001 at 01:40:48PM -0700, Grant Grundler wrote:
> > "Andy Walker" wrote:
> > > by the 53c8xx driver, it says differential on the external connector
> -
> > > there can't be any doubt, can there? This should all work
> together.
> >
> > It sounds like it should all just work. Especially if HPUX works.
> > But HPUX sometimes cripples the bus speed or *wideth* based
> > on what PDC tells it. Perhaps you need to do the same. I really
> > don't expect any issues with bus speed on differential SCSIs.
> > Possibly a wide vs narrow bus issue (Chip thinks it's wide and the
> cabling
> > is narrow). We see that on C3k still and I started (but didn't
> finish)
> > the code to query PDC about Host SCSI ID, bus speed, and width.
> >
> > > Anyway, I'll take an known good disk with me tomorrow and try that
> with
> > > a different internal cable. I'll also double check that everything
> is
> > > still working with HP-UX. More news as it breaks.........
> >
> > Yeah - if HPUX boots/talks to the devices, they are basically ok.
> > It's a matter of getting the linux driver the right parameters then.
>
> >From drivers/scsi/README.ncr53c8xx, you can force narrow by booting
> with
>
> ncr53c8xx=wide:0
>
> and disable tagged commands with
>
> ncr53c8xx=wide:0,tags:0
>
> and force async with
>
> ncr53c8xx=wide:0,tags:0,sync:255
>
> and disable dma burst with
>
> ncr53c8xx=wide:0,tags:0,sync:255,busrt:0
>
> and disable disconnect with
>
> ncr53c8xx=wide:0,tags:0,sync:255,burst:0,disc:n
>

> Richard

Absolutely no luck at all :-( Different disk, different cable - same
results. Tried Richard's parameter settings - nothing helps. Tried
ncr53c8xx=safe:y, still no joy.

But if I hang an HPUX bootdisk on the card, I can boot happily from
it. Bah!

Do we know of anybody who has one of these cards working?

-Andy

Få din egen @start.no-adresse gratis på http://www.start.no/