[parisc-linux] can not get samba to work

Joerg Hartmann Joerg Hartmann <J.Hartmann@reinarts.de>
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 13:28:44 +0100

Hello parisc-linux users,

i can not get samba to work on my 720 with the 0.9.3 Debian.
smbd dies immediatly with an error message in log.smbd:
[2001/12/16 19:51:43, 0] lib/messages.c:message_init(97)
  ERROR: Failed to initialise messages database

A messages.tdb exists. Every tool seems to have problems with *.tdb
hp-tux:/usr/src/samba-2.2.2/source/bin# ./smbstatus -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
connections.tdb not initialised

First i had installed the samba (v 2.2.2) package from the CD with
apt-get. After that didn't worked, i removed it and compiled my own from
the native source. Same problem - same error.

./configure and make went smoothly so i dont understand
what the reason of this error is.

As i thought this would be a samba error i asked for help
on the samba mailing list, but did not get an answer.
So i am now stuck with this error ...
Does anyone use samba on parisc-linux ?
Could this be a problem with some underlying software which samba
depends on ?
I use samba since years on x86-Linux and have never seen such things
bevore.

--
Best regards,
 Joerg                          J.Hartmann@reinarts.de