[parisc-linux] LIF boot from tape?

Paul Bame bame@riverrock.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:39:34 -0700

> I thought I had found something useful but have been unable to create a
> tape with a LIF image on it that actually boots.

If you have an already-running system, here's how to make a tape which
boots with the same root:

Copy your /etc/palo.conf to another file.  It should look something like
this:

--commandline=3/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/sda3
--recoverykernel=/boot/vmlinux
--init-partitioned=/dev/sda

Change --init-partitioned=/dev/sda to --init-tape=/tmp/lifimage

Change --commandline=3/boot/vmlinux ... to --commandline=0/vmlinux

Run palo, creating /tmp/lifimage

Copy /tmp/lifimage to tape with for example 'dd' (do not use 'tar' or 'cpio').