[parisc-linux] what is palo/lifimage for ?

Joerg Hartmann Joerg Hartmann <J.Hartmann@reinarts.de>
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:21:42 +0100

Hello ,

yesterday i installed a new kernel for my 720.
And now it works :)
But there are some questions left ...

The "Building the Kernel" webpage at
http://www.parisc-linux.org/kernel/index.html says
after "make palo" you have your new kernel in the file palo/lifimage.
But there is no pointer what to do after this :(
After some reading in the mailinglist archive i installed
palo/lifimage in /boot, edited /etc/palo.conf and run palo.

Then i booted my 720 just to see the message
"Couldn't grok your kernel executable format
ERROR: failed to load kernel" .

Half an hour later i found (with the help of "file")
that palo/lifimage is not the kenel image to boot,
it is vmlinux in the kernel-source dir.

So here comes the question: What is palo/lifimage for, or what
am i supposed to do with it ?
Is there another how-to for making/installing new kernels ?

--
Best regards,
 Joerg                          J.Hartmann@reinarts.de