[parisc-linux] What keywords should I use to find the answer?

Tom palinux@alaskatech.org
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:02:52 -0900 (AKST)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Edward Alfert wrote:
> ok...was able to follow all the steps in creating the new kernel including
> make oldconfig
> make dep
> make palo
>
> now what? (this is where the Building the Kernel FAQ ends)
>
> So from this point forward i'm guessing (trial and error)...
>
> I rebooted and it still booted to the old kernel 2.4.9
>
> i then manually moved /root/source/palo/lifimage to
> /boot/vmlinux-2.4.16-pa19
> then created link to it from vmlinux
>
> I then rebooted and i get:
> Opening /vmlinux
> Opening /vmlinux-2.4.16-pa19
> Couldn't grok your kernel executable format
> ERROR: failed to load kernel

Exactly what I had happen. Someone was nice enough to point out to me the
*right* way <g>...

In your linux root (with the Makefile) is vmlinux. Move that to
/boot/vmlinux-xxx, then edit palo.conf (second line has the kernel you're
wanting to boot by default). Then, run palo (gives you a two-line 'before'
and 'after' which should show the new kernel) and reboot.

> Now i know i shouldn't have manually moved the files over and there was a
> correct way of doing this... but i looked in all docs i could find and can't
> find the right way to move a new kernel into place from the new created
> palo/lifimage

Don't think there's any way other than manual - 'make install' isn't
working yet AFAIK.

Recover by using 'boot pri ipl' at the initial boto menu, then change your
kernel name to the last one you used.