[parisc-linux] What keywords should I use to find the answer?

Edward Alfert edward@alfert.com
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 11:33:15 -0500

i consider myself a newbie (but i'm willing to learn), so please cut me some
slack, but building the kernel didn't work for me.

this is what i did:
su
cd
mkdir source
ftp ftp.parisc-linux.org
user: anonymous
password: edward@alfert.com
cd cvs
get linux-latest.tar.gz     (also tried linux-2.4.16-pa19.tar.gz)
get palo-latest.tar.gz
quit

cd source

zcat linux-latest.tar.gz | tar -xf -    (nothing gets extracted)
zcat linux-2.4.16-pa19.tar.gz | tar -xv -    (nothing gets extracted)
zcat palo-latest.tar.gz | tar -xf -  (tons of files are extracted into palo
folder)

gunzip *
tar -tvf linux-latest.tar   (no files are listed)
tar -tvf linux-2.4.16-pa19.tar.gz   (no files are listed)
tar -tvf palo-latest.tar.gz   (tons of files are listed)

Why is the linux* files empty?  did i do something wrong?