[parisc-linux] Firmware upgraded, STI console problem

Matthew Wilcox willy@debian.org
Wed, 12 Dec 2001 19:57:27 +0000

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 02:34:35PM -0500, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> Also, my processor is listed in firmware and docs as a PA8000. So why
> not 64-bit cpu. If I boot the 2.4.16-64 kernel, it hangs after the
> "branching" messege screen.

this must surely be a faq by now.  the c160-era workstations shipped
with 32-bit firmware, so it's much more sensible to run a 32-bit kernel
on them.  why do people think a 64-bit kernel is better?  it's slower and
takes more ram than a 32-bit kernel.  the only benefit it might offer
(being able to deal with >4gb of ram, or >4gb virtual address space)
aren't applicable -- you can't put that much ram in a c160, and we don't
support 64-bit user processes yet.